Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

NPDES Storm Water Construction Permit

May 30, 2006 - Task Force Meeting Presentations

* Who Needs One? * What Information Must I Provide?
* How Will My Application be Processed? * What Fees are Required?
* What are My  Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?
* What are the Division's Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?
* Permitted Sites    

Who Needs An NPDES Storm Water Construction Permit?

Operators of construction sites involving clearing, grading or excavation that result in an area of disturbance of one or more acres, and activities that result in the disturbance of less than one acre if it is part of a larger common plan of development or sale. Please note this rule applies to construction activities begun before March 10, 2003, if one or more acres will be disturbed on or after March 10, 2003.

Permitted activities have included housing subdivisions, commercial and industrial buildings, golf courses, utility lines, sewage treatment plants, and roads. Various land clearing activities such as borrow pits for fill material have also been covered under this general permit.

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicants must submit the following information:

  • A completed and signed Notice of Intent (NOI) for Construction Activity - Storm Water Discharges (see link below). The NOI must include a map on 8 ½ inch by 11 inch paper with boundaries 1-2 miles outside the site property with the site and construction area outlined and the receiving water or receiving storm sewer highlighted and identified. It is preferable for this map to be the appropriate portion of a USGS 7.5-minute quadrangle map.
  • A site-specific SWPPP (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan) must be developed and submitted with the NOI. The SWPPP must be developed, implemented, and updated according to Part 3 of the CGP (Construction General Permit).

Completed Notices of Intent must be sent to the appropriate Environmental Field Office.

Form Description Form # Application Form
Word PDF
Storm Water Construction Notice of Intent CN-0940 pdfsmall.gif (153 bytes)
Storm Water Construction Notice of Termination CN-1175 pdfsmall.gif (153 bytes)
Storm Water Construction Inspection Certification CN-1173 N/A pdfsmall.gif (153 bytes)

How Will My Application Be Processed?

Upon receipt of the NOI, the Division will send a letter of coverage to the applicant.

What Fees Are Required?

Effective June 2008, permit application fees for the Construction Storm Water General Permit been revised. Fees range from zero for sites less than 1 acre to $7,500 for sites greater than or equal to 150 acres. The permit application fee should accompany the NOI form. The fee range is as follows.

Fee per Acres of Project

Project equal to or greater than 150 acres


Project equal to or greater than 50 acres and less than 150 acres


Project equal to or greater than 5 acres and less than 50 acres


Project equal to or greater than 1 acres and less than 5 acres


Project less than 1 acre

$ 0

What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit Is Issued?

A permittee who has submitted an NOI and received permit coverage has the duty to comply with all provisions of the general permit, statutes, and regulations. Coverage under the general permit does not relieve the permittee of the responsibility for damages to surface or ground water. The permittee must maintain records of checks and repairs on site or at a nearby office. These records must be maintained for a minimum of three (3) years. The permittee must notify the Division of any changes to their NOI information. The NOI is not transferable and new owners must submit a new NOI. If the operation experiences any emergency that could impact the waters of the state, they must notify the Division as detailed in the regulations.

What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit Is Issued?

The Division and other authorized representatives of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have the right to inspect the site and associated records at reasonable times. They also have the right to sample discharge of pollutants. The Division may terminate permit coverage for any applicant who violates the state statutes, departmental regulations, or terms of the general permit. Any person who violates or fails to comply with the state statutes, rules, or regulations may be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties.

Permitted Sites

List of Permitted Construction Sites, Statewide
Permitted Construction Sites in Memphis - for MS4s

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Sources of Information?

Applicants may obtain Notice of Intent forms from any TDEC Environmental Field Office or the Division of Water Pollution Control.

Applicants may refer to the following publications:

Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures

Division of Water Pollution Control

WPC Standard Operating Procedures

TCA § 69-3-108exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes): Tennessee Water Quality Control Act of 1977