Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

Aquatic Herbicides General Permit

* Who Needs One? * What Information
Must I Provide?
* How Will My Application
be Processed?
* What Fees are Required?
* What are My 
Responsibilities After
Processing and
* What are the Division's Responsibilities
After the Applicant is


"We" and "Us" as used on this web page and in the general permit is intended to refer to the Tennessee Division of Water Pollution Control, or means the director of the Tennessee Division of Water Pollution Control, or an authorized representative.

"You" and "Your" as used in this permit is intended to refer to the permittee, the operator, or the discharger as the context indicates and that party's responsibilities (e.g., the city, the county, the flood control district, the U.S. Air Force, etc.).

Who Needs An Aquatic Herbicides General Permit?

If you plan to use herbicides to control aquatic macrophytes that are contained within federal and state managed impoundments and lakes in Tennessee.

What Information Must I Provide?

See the Notice of Intent form below.

Aquatic Herbicides Permit Forms
Form Description
Form #
Form - PDF
Notice of Intent (NOI) for the Application of Herbicides into Waters of the State
NOI in .pdf format
SOP General Permit for the Application of Aquatic Herbicides  
Draft NPDES GP for Application of Aquatic Herbicides in .pdf format
Notice of Determination  
Rationale for Aquatic Herbicide Application  
Herbicides Application to Reelfoot Lake General Permit CN-0759

How Will My Application Be Processed?

You should submit the Notice of Intent (NOI) at least 30 days prior to the herbicide spraying. We will review the NOI and attachments for completeness and accuracy. After we receive a complete and accurate NOI, we will either deny coverage or send the permittee a notice of coverage (NOC) under the general permit. If we were unable to transmit an NOC to you within 30 days of receipt of the NOI, discharges are authorized under this permit if the NOI has been assigned a valid NPDES general permit tracking number and you have been informed of this tracking number as an authorization to proceed. Coverage under the general permit is not transferable to new facility owners.

What Fees Are Required?

Permit Application Fee: none

Annual Maintenance Fee: $250

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After Processing and Approval of the NOI?

A permittee who has submitted an NOI and received a notice of coverage (NOC) under the general permit has the duty to comply with all provisions of the general permit and applicable rules and regulations.

Coverage under this NPDES general permit does not relieve you of the responsibility for damages to surface or ground water. The permittee must notify the division as soon as possible of planned changes in operations and of any change in mailing address. You are responsible for complying with the conditions of the permit, including keeping records and reporting. If the facility experiences any emergency that could impact the waters of the state, they must notify the division as detailed in the general permit.

Applicability of this general permit is for contact and systemic herbicides. Herbicides shall be limited to those registered herbicides approved for use in water used as domestic water supply, and the applicator must follow all label requirements. The application of the herbicides shall be by persons certified and licensed by the Tennessee Department of Agriculture and must meet all applicable general permits and Regulations of the Tennessee Department of Agriculture. The application of herbicides is limited to an effective plant control zone which shall be within one hundred (100) feet of fixed piers, docks, boathouses, public use boat ramps, public facilities, and industrial water intakes. Boat lanes shall be limited to a single lane not to exceed fifty (50) feet in width. Under no circumstances may the area to be treated exceed (10) ten acres.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Applicant is Approved under the Permit?

The Division has the right to terminate coverage under the permit if an applicant violates the state statutes, departmental regulations, or terms of the general permit. The Division has the right to inspect the conduct of activities carried out under the permit.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Information?

Applicants may obtain applications and assistance from the Division of Water Pollution Control, Central Office or any TDEC Environmental Assistance Center (EAC), or use the form above.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures

Division of Water Pollution Control

WPC Standard Operating Procedures

TCA § 69-3-108exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes) Tennessee Water Quality Control Act of 1977

List of Aquatic Herbicide Permittees