Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)

Certain project activities can trigger the need for an environmental assessment (EA) under NEPA. Where the results of an EA warrant, an environmental impact statement (EIS) may be required. In industrial development type projects, an EA and possibly an EIS may be triggered by:
  • Significant work affecting federally controlled properties. In Tennessee this is most often work on properties controlled by the Corps of Engineers or Tennessee Valley Authority - usually barge facilities, water intakes, outfall structures, etc.
  • Work requiring federally issued permits such as Corps Section 10 and 404 permits or TVA Section 26a permits.
  • Project work for which federal funds are used.
  • General List of Tennessee Agency Contacts for NEPA Reviews:

    • Adobe Acrobat PDF File (.pdf format)
Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures