Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

Oil and Gas Well Permit

* Who Needs One? * What Information Must I Provide?
* How Will My Application be Processed? * What Fees are Required?
* What are My  Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?
* What are the Division's Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?

Who Needs An Oil And Gas Well Permit?

Persons who drill, deepen or reopen oil and gas wells must obtain a permit from the Tennessee Division of Water Pollution Control (WPC), Oil and Gas Section.

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicants must submit the following items with the proper fees before starting any activity:

  • A notarized Application For Permit To Drill (Form CN-0211) which requires the name, address and telephone number of the well owner and operator, well number and name of the U.S. Geological Survey 7.5 topographic quadrangle, distance and direction from the nearest town or post office; ground elevation, proposed total depth and name of geological formation to be tested, and the purpose for drilling the well (Note: This form must be printed double-sided prior to being notarized.)
  • An Organization Report (Form CN-0219) which identifies the company, organization, individual or group for whom the benefit of the project is being conducted
  • A Surface Owner Certification (Form CN-0694) stating that the landowner has been notified of any planned surface disturbances, and a certified mail receipt showing that Form CN-0694 has been sent. There is a fifteen day waiting period for the landowner to respond to the State after receiving Form CN-0694. However, this waiting period can be waived if the landowner signs a Statement of No Objection form to proposed surface disturbances, or if they sign the plat.
  • A pooling affidavit (CN- 0690) for sites with more than one landowner
  • A well location plat, constructed by a Tennessee registered surveyor, showing the proposed location of the oil and gas well site; the proposed location of all new ingress and egress; the location of all diversions, drilling pits, dikes and elated structures and facilities; the location of proposed storage tanks and all other surface disturbances
  • A reclamation plan (Form RP) committing the operator to appropriate cleanup measures within 30 days of plugging and abandonment
  • Evidence of a $2,000 plugging bond per well or a blanket plugging bond of $10,000 for a maximum of ten wells (contact the Division of Water Pollution Control for instructions)
  • Evidence of a Reclamation Bond of $1,500 per well site (contact the Division of Water Pollution Control for instructions)
  • Applicants must submit the following items when changing operators or amending their permits:
    • Application to change operators (Form CN-0237)
    • Application to amend a well permit (Form CN-0028)

Thank you for your patience as we update our forms on the website. Webmaster - September 11, 2008

Form Description Form # Application Form
& Instructions
Application For Permit To Drill CN-0211 (P-AD-1)    
Reclamation plan Form RP    
Pooling Affidavit CN-0690    
Organization Report CN-0219 (R-O-1)    
Surface Owner Certification CN-0694 (Form NC)    
Statement of No Objection      
Application to Change Operators CN-0237 (P-AD-3)    
Application to Amend Well Permit CN-0228    

How Will My Application Be Processed?

The application, required forms and proper fees should be submitted to the Division of Water Pollution Control, Oil and Gas Well Section. A detailed review of the application is conducted, and the site is inspected by the Division. The review process may take up to 15 days. No public review is required. The permit is valid for three (3) months.

What Fees Are Required?

Permit fee: $150
Permit amendment fee: $25
Change of Operator fee: $25

What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit Is Approved?

The applicant may proceed with the approved activities as stated on the permit. The permit is transferable upon submittal and approval of the Application to Change Operators (Form CN-0237) and other requirements. The permit can be amended after the submittal and approval of the Application to Amend a Well Permit (Form CN-0228) for the purposes of changing the location, elevation, total depth and lease or unit name.

The applicant is responsible for completing work within six (6) months from cessation of drilling. Fifteen Day Progress On Drill Reports describing well activities must be submitted to the Division upon request. The applicant also is responsible for complying with testing, monitoring, prevention of hazards and pollution, and all other requirements pertaining to the drilling, re-entry, plugging and abandoning, and the exploration and exploitation of oil and gas wells.

What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit Is Approved?

The Division has the right to inspect the site when deemed necessary. Penalties for violations can reach to a maximum of $10,000 per day per violation.

The Oil and Gas Board, is responsible for preventing waste and protecting the waters and natural resources of the state from any adverse effects associated with drilling, deepening or reopening gas and oil wells.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Information?

Applicants may obtain applications and information from:

State of Tennessee, Water Pollution Control
Oil and Gas Section
6th Floor, L & C Tower
401 Church Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0445
(615) 532-0166

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures

Tennessee Division of Geology

Water Pollution Control

TDEC Rule Chapter 1040-1-1 to -8-1 exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes)Rules of Tennessee State Oil and Gas Board

TCA § 60-1-101 to -705 exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes)Oil and Gas Laws in Tennessee