For More Information
For more information about National Register
of Historic Places in Tennessee, contact:
615/532-1550 ext. 105
Claiborne County Jail
Clear Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Knoxville Southern Railroad Historic District
Port Royal Road
Post Oak Springs Christian Church
Promise Land School
Settlement School Dormitories and Dwellings Historic District
George Washington School
The National Register of Historic Places is the Nations list of cultural resources consideredworthy of preservation. In Tennessee, the staff of the Tennessee Historical Commission administers this program. Three times a year, the State Review Board meets to recommend properties for listing in the National Register. There are nearly 1800 entries in the National Register from Tennessee. Every county in the state has at least one entry. For additional information on the National Register program, contact the Tennessee Historical Commission at 615/532-1550 or link to the National Register of Historic Places.
Recent Listings from Tennessee
Dr. Richard and Mrs. Margaret Martin House
The Dr. Richard and Mrs. Margaret Martin House in Nashville is a very good representation of the modern organic or Usonian principles espoused by famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Designed by local architect Robert Bruce Draper, a student of Wright, the house was constructed in 1956-57. It features large corner windows, a multi-plane roof, an open floor plan, an expansive fireplace, and widespread use of natural materials. Draper studied with Frank Lloyd Wright before working for various firms in Chicago and Nashville. He went on to start his own architectural firm and designed many education-related buildings in Middle Tennessee.
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Dr. Richard and Mrs. Margaret Martin House.
Situated on 154 acres the Leeper Farm in Hamblen County contains a house built in 1896 that was updated to the Colonial Revival style of architecture in the 1920s. The changes in the house and outbuildings reflect progressive agricultural and architectural trends of the early decades of the twentieth century. Historic outbuildings on the farm include a smokehouse, tenant house, well house, and barns. Also visible on the property is the Leeper Spring which provided water for the family before indoor plumbing was installed in the house. The Leeper Farm has been an active working farm, operated by the same family, for over one hundred years.
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Leeper Farm.
Anderson Presbyterian Church
Located in the unincorporated community of Madison Hall, the Anderson Presbyterian Church is an excellent example of a turn of the century rural church building. Completed in 1894 the exterior is characterized by its gable front vestibule and symmetrically placed double-hung windows. Unusual incised detailing is found on the cornice and on the exposed rafters. Inside, the vault-like ceiling, wood trim, and original pews are notable features. The church still retains the majority of its original materials.
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Anderson Presbyterian Church.