Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

Hydrostatic Test Water NPDES General Permit

* Who Needs One? * What Information Must I Provide?
* How Will My Application be Processed? * What Fees are Required?
* What are My  Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?
* What are the Division's Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?

Who Needs One?

Any individual who discharges hydrostatic test water to the waters of Tennessee must file for coverage under the Division of Water Pollution Control General NPDES Permit for Discharges of Hydrostatic Test Water. This includes discharges from new, unused facilities or operating facilities including, but not limited to, boilers, pipelines, flowlines, storage tanks used for the transportation or storage of natural gas, crude oil, or liquid or gaseous pertroleum hydrocarbons.

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicants must submit the following information at least 30 days prior to any discharge of hydrostatic test water to the waters of the State. An original and one (1) copy of the Notice of Intent and required attachments must be sent to Water Pollution Control staff at the Environmental Assistance Center responsible for the county where the discharge is located.

  • A completed Notice of Intent. This form includes name of the owner/operator, mailing address, contact person and phone number; description of facility or vessel to be tested; volume of hydrostatic test water to be discharged; source of test water; description of material that has been contained in the facility; name and location, by river mile, of the receiving waters; estimated dates of testing, frequency of tests and duration, description of Best Management Practices (BMPSs).
  • A facility location map with boundaries that extend at least one mile beyond the site property and identify specific locations of the discharges.

Permit Forms

Form Description Form # Application Form Form Instructions
Hydrostatic Test Water Notice of Intent CN-1262 wordmed.gif (222 bytes) pdfsmall.gif (153 bytes) N/A N/A

How Will My Application Be Processed?

The Division will review the NOI and attachments for completeness and accuracy. Within 30 days after the Division receives a complete and accurate NOI, the Division will send the permittee a notice of coverage under the general permit. Coverage under the general permit is not transferable to new facility owners.

What Fees Are Required?

Permit Application Fee: none

Annual Permit Fee: $250

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

A permittee who has submitted an NOI and received permit coverage has the duty to comply with all provisions of the general permit and applicable rules and regulations. Coverage under the NPDES general permit does not relieve the permittee of the responsibility for damages to surface or ground water. The permittee must notify the Division as soon as possible of planned alteration or additions to the permitted facility or of any change in mailing address. The permittee is responsible for monitoring discharge, reporting data, keeping records, and placing signs at discharge outfalls as detailed in the general permit. If the facility experiences any emergency that could impact the waters of the state, they must notify the Division as detailed in the general permit.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The Division has the right to revoke, suspend, or deny the issuance of a permit to any applicant who violates the state statutes, departmental regulations, or terms of the general permit. The Division has the right to inspect the site, monitoring equipment, and associated records at reasonable times. They also have the right to sample any discharge. Any person who violates or fails to comply with the state statutes, rules, or regulations may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants may obtain applications and assistance from the Division of Water Pollution Control, Central Office or any TDEC Environmental Assistance Center, or use the form above.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures

Division of Water Pollution Control

WPC Standard Operating Procedures

TCA § 69-3-108 exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes)

List of Active Hydrostatic Test Water Permittees