Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

Underground Injection Control Permit

* Who Needs One? * What Information Must I Provide?
* How Will My Application be Processed? * What Fees are Required?
* What are My  Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?
* What are the Division's Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?

Who Needs An Underground Injection Control Permit?

Anyone who discharges industrial/commercial wastes into a subsurface system other than city sewers or who discharges stormwater to an improved sinkhole is required to submit an underground injection control (UIC) application to the Tennessee Division of Water Supply (DWS), Ground Water Management Section.

The operation of a single family domestic waste disposal system requires a construction permit from the Divison of Groundwater Protection and does not require a UIC permit. The operation of facilities injecting natural gas for the purpose of storage requires an EPA Class II injection well permit. EPA and the State classify well injections as I (deep well industrial), II (oilfield brine), III (mineral extraction), IV (hazardous waste) and V (shallow, non-hazardous). Tennesee permits Class I and V wells. Class IV wells are illegal. Class II wells are handled by EPA, and there are no Class III wells in Tennessee.

What Information Must I Provide?

Anyone interested in a Class I well should contact the Division of Water Supply for application information.  Class V applicants must submit the following items before commencement of construction or modification of an injection well:

  • Authorization Application For Class V Underground Injection Well. This form has three parts. Part A requires general information concerning the name and location of the facility, the activities conducted that require a permit, the nature of the business, the contact person and other required environmental permits. Part B requires information regarding the injection well, injection zone, the injected fluid, operation status and parameters. Part C requires information concerning the area lying within and below a one-mile radius of the injection well pump site or facility; this includes surface geographic features, subsurface geology and demographic and cultural features.
  • Attachments such as topographic and geologic quadrangle maps, schematic diagrams showing construction details and materials of the well, chemical analysis data of the injection fluid, process descriptions, procedures for operation and maintenance, geologic/geographic information collected during construction, facility blueprints, and erosion and sediment control construction diagrams may be required.

Permit Forms

Form Description Form # Application Form Form Instructions
Application for Permit of a Class I Underground Injection Well Contact the Division of Water Supply for a Class 1 Injection Well Permit
Authorization Application for a Class V Underground Injection Well CN-1106 wordmed.gif (222 bytes) pdfsmall.gif (153 bytes) N/A N/A

How Will My Application Be Processed?

When a Class V application is received, the Division will review it for completeness and notify the applicant of any deficiencies. Class V wells generally are authorized by reference in the Tennessee "Rules for Underground Injection Control." In this case, the applications are reviewed within two (2) to four (4) weeks. If the proposed project is complex, the Division will issue a permit rather than an authorization. A permit may take up to six (6) months to process.

What Fees Are Required?

There are fees for Class V injection wells. (.pdf format)

What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit/Authorization Is Approved?

The applicant may proceed with the approved activities as stated in the permit and the rules. The permit/authorization is not transferable, but modifications can be made. In the case of a denial, the applicant has 30 days to file a petition with the Water Quality Control Board.

Applicants are responsible for meeting the operational requirements and conditions stated in the permit and in the rules. These include, but are not limited to, construction standards, operating requirements, monitoring, submittal of quarterly monitoring reports and other requirements as stated in the rule.

What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit/Authorization Is Approved?

The Division has the right to inspect a facility annually or as deemed necessary. The Division has the right to revoke or suspend a permit for noncompliance of any standards, limitations or other requirements. Violators are subject to civil penalties  up to $10,000 per day.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Information?

Applicants may obtain applications and information from the Tennessee Division of Water Supply, Ground Water Management Section, Underground Injection Control Program.  New applicants who need more than one permit can contact their regional Environmental Coordinator for further assistance. 

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures

Division of Drinking Water Supply

DWS Standard Operating Procedures

TDEC Rule Chapter 1200- 4-6: exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes)Underground Injection Control

TCA § 69-3-101 exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes)et seq.: The Water Quality Control Act of 1977, as amended

Defined Terms

Class I Underground Injection Well

Class V Underground Injection Well

injection well