Link back to Home.
Home  |   Air  |   Water  |   Land  |   Permits  |   Online Services   |   Contact Us  |  State Parks

Main content begins below.

Environmental Permits Handbook

Special Waste Approval

* Who Needs One? * What Information Must I Provide?
* How Will My Application be Processed? * What Fees are Required?
* What are My  Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?
* What are the Division's Responsibilities
After the Permit is Issued?

Who Needs A Special Waste Approval?

Persons who wish to dispose of special waste in a permitted landfill or have the special waste processed in a permitted processing facility require a special waste approval from the Tennessee Division of Solid Waste Management (SWM). Examples of special wastes are sludges, metal finishing particles, incinerator ash, process filters, medical wastes, sandblast grind media and paint chips.

Homeowners who generate a household special waste do not have to obtain an approval and pay the approval fee.

What Information Must I Provide?

Persons applying for a special waste approval must:

  • Locate a landfill or processing facility that will accept the special waste and obtain approval from the Division of SWM prior to disposal or processing of the special waste. No landfill can accept special waste without written approval from the Division unless the landfill has been granted specific approval for the waste stream.
  • Submit a completed Waste Evaluation Fee Worksheet (Form CN-0932) application and the proper fee. This form contains general facility and special waste information.
  • Submit a completed Special Waste Data Collection Form with required attachments. The form requires a chemical and physical description of the solid waste, the amounts and frequencies of disposal, a description of the process(es) generating the waste, and identification of the facility receiving the waste. Note that in certain instances the Division will accept copies of Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) in place of the waste analysis form.
Permit Forms
Form Description Form # Application Form & Inst. - PDF
Waste Evaluation Application Package CN-1051 &
pdfsmall.gif (153 bytes)

How Will My Application Be Evaluated And Processed?

Based on the nature of the special waste and the design and operation of the disposal facility, the Division will determine if the facility can safely and effectively manage the special waste. If so, a letter of approval is sent to the disposal facility and to the applicant. A decision is made within 30 days of submitting a completed application.

What Fees Are Required?

There is an application fee of $250. In addition, a tipping fee is to be paid to the receiving landfill. The amount of the tipping fee depends on the waste characteristics, amounts and frequencies.

What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The Approval?

Following the Division of SWM's approval, the applicant may dispose of the special waste at the designated facility. Final authority for disposal lies with the permitted facility. It has the right to refuse the special waste even though approval has been granted by the Division of SWM.

The applicant must notify the Division of SWM in writing of any significant changes in the process that generates the waste or any significant changes in the amounts of and frequencies of the solid waste.

What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Approval?

The Division of SWM has the responsibility to give a notice of violation if the applicant has violated the conditions of the approval or has significantly changed the characteristics, amounts or frequencies of the special waste without notifying the Division. The Division has the right to revise and amend the regulations pertaining to special wastes when it is deemed necessary.

It is the responsibility of the Division to regulate the disposal of solid wastes to protect public health and the environment. The Division of SWM will notify the applicant and the facility of a denial if the Division determines that the facility cannot safely and effectively manage the special waste.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Sources Of Information? Applications and assistance can be obtained by contacting the appropriate Tennessee Division of SWM field office. In addition, the UT Center for Industrial Services field office is available for assistance with applications and procedures for all environmental permits.

Applicants may refer to TDEC Rule Chapter 1200-1-7-.01(2)exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes) for further information.

Permitting Home

What Environmental Permits Do I Need?

Prudent Site Checks

Permit Application Forms

Standard Operating Procedures

Division of Solid and Hazardous Waste

SHW Public Notices

SHW Standard Operating Procedures

TDEC Rule Chapter 1200-1-7-.01(2)exittdec3.gif (1060 bytes)

Defined Terms


special waste